Thursday, March 16, 2006

From the frying pan and into the freezer.

Arrived in New Zealand three nights ago. Wow. Touched down in Christchurch on the South Island, I wanted to avoid all the tourism of the North Island this time of year; I'm told it's quite hectic with Maori Festivals going on. As much as I'd like to see them, apparently the place is overrun with tourists at the moment.

My plan is quite simple really, I've got six weeks here. I'll be doing a complete route around the island, and most of it will no doubt be hitching. I'm told it's relatively safe here though.

Looking forward to seeing the "Southern Alps", of which Mount Cook is supposed to be an amazing view. There are base walks that take three days, and I've already booked one. I'm told it's going to be the most demanding challenge I'm likely to ever take it my life. Reassuring.

Christchurch so far has been pretty laid back. Spent last night at a cruisy little jazz cafe with a couple of german girls from Gladbach. It's been snowing a little for the past week, still can't get over snow in April. It's insane. Then again I can't get over a beach Christmas.

I move onto Mount Cook on Tuesday, and with it a different type of challenge.

No comments: